nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Annurca

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Annurca
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:17:24 -0600

At 10:42 AM 3/25/2005, Jerry wrote:
The only Red Delicious apple I'll eat is one that is soft and over ripe (according to the general definition espoused by most here).
I'm clearly in the minority here as I like soft Mutsu, soft Summer Rambo, very ripe soft June Transparency. Is it because I don't know how to raise apples or don't know how to care for them?

Hey, Jerry; is that why you're so big on persimmons?  8>)
Personally, I prefer a firm, crisp apple to a soft mushy/mealy one - but I do love a good, soft, ripe persimmon.  Used to like pawpaws, too, but I'm kinda burnt out on 'em - much prefer a good persimmon.
Can't recall when I've had a grocery store Red Delicious that was worth eating, but have had some home-grown ones that were excellent - probably one of the earlier sports of the original Hawkeye - as they weren't even solid red - and didn't really have that conical shape that the general public has come to expect in a RD.

Lucky