nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Auxin

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Auxin
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:00:50 -0500

Hi,

Just a quick note on what keeps buds dormant.

You maybe already know, but dormant buds are kept dormant by a hormone called auxin.

Auxin is produced by the growing terminal buds, sending the hormone down the stem/branch.

When a branch is broken or pruned off two things happen; 1) Auxin keeping buds dormant is no longer being sent, 2) Sunlight breaks down the remaining auxin.

This results in a flush of buds breaking dormancy in the area of the missing branch.

Apparently, this is most true in the spring during vigorous growth. That is why summer pruning is advantageous when the vigorous growth cycle has passed.

Later,
Tom