nafex - [NAFEX] sports and mutations, more

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] sports and mutations, more
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:59:06 -0600

Okay, maybe not news to some, but interesting to me, so I thought I would
write in:
Terminal Buds (end of shoot wood bud) and Axillary buds (bud situated in area
where
leaf stem meets the shoot or branch) are both connected to the pithe of a
Tree
vascular system. An Adventitous bud (bud arising "randomly" from areas on
older
parts of the Tree and not accompanied by a leaf) is NOT connected to the
pithe.
This seems to make intuitive sense to me, as the pithe represents the
conglomerated
metabolic history of a tree, and any bud arising from this layer would seem
natural
to continue this expression. Meanwhile, the adventitous buds are the ones
usual
responsible for mutations, ie sports etc, and are arising from where? Is it
still
in contact with the phloem? Arising from previous years' growth layers?
With roots, I see the term adventitous shoots/buds being used in relation to
root
cuttings or suckers. These shoots/buds originate in the pericycle and
vascular ray
tissue, and a few other areas I can't spell. I haven't been able to track
down the
area(s) in the tissue above the root collar that adventitous buds arise from.
Does
the word phellogen mean anything to folks?
Another curious query: does the meristem activity in the three types of buds
mentioned above differ?
I LOVE the "scientific" use of the word "arise" in relation to celluar
activity.
Reminds me of the certain religious writings...
Thanks for any and all feedback, just trying to fill in the cracks,
Heron Breen
maine, zone 4