nafex - Re: [NAFEX] sports and mutations, more

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] sports and mutations, more
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:41:45 GMT

Wow! Thannks for that explanation Lon. Now tell me if this is off kilter
or not; water sprouts sound like what you describe as buried buds that
sprout. They are also what I usually cut for scion wood. Am I increasing
the chances of getting something not true to type by doing so?

Muffy Barrett
South-Central Wisconsin, where it's about time to cut scion wood.

--- "Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

> 1. Some "adventitious" buds are really very old
> buds buried deep in
> the wood. Laid down when the tree is young, they
> usually don't push
> unless something very drastic happens to the tree.
> These are the ones
> that produce sports most often as the older the bud,
> the more likely it
> has been hit by radiation, etc. during it's
> existence, causing a
> mutation. A great number of bud sports of Red
> Delicious trace back to
> a severe winter in Washington in the 1950's that
> froze back many trees,
> causing old buds to push from deep inside the wood.

Now includes pop-up blocker!