nafex - Re: [NAFEX] downside of free potassium source

  • From: Hector Black <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] downside of free potassium source
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:40:41 -0600

We found another use for granite dust. When there's dew on the leaves of
the grapes and raspberries in the early morning, we throw it out to stick to
the leaves. It doesn't kill the Japanese beetles, but they move away. Wear
a dust mask as I"m sure it's not too good for the lungs. The beetles go
until rain washes the dust off.. It would be interest for others to try
this during the summer and let us know if it works for them. It's about the
only organic control for beetles that I've found aside from knocking them
off into soapy water. Only limit is that you cannot use it when the
blackberries are forming as berries are too tender to have it washed off
them.
hector black, zone 6 middle tn.