nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:37:36 EST

In a message dated 1/15/2005 3:22:48 PM US Eastern Standard Time, dporter@lisco.com writes:

What comes to mind at the moment  includes paw paw, American persimmon,
plums, apricots, peaches, sweet cherries, serviceberries, kiwi, grapes,
raspberries, and blueberries. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things, but
it's a start.

Here at our place in rural central west Indiana they generally eat all Prunus, Malus and less severely new growth of American persimmon. Bucks sure like to rub them, damaging heavily. The one you asked about that they will leave alone is pawpaw although they will occasionally leave teeth marks in the ripe fruit only damaging it.

Jerry