nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?

  • From: BTCJOHNSTONE@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:01:31 EST

Try plantskydd. I use it to protect things until the plants are tall enough to fend for themselves somewhat. It also has a conditioning effect in that the deer come to associate those plants with carnivore damage scents and simply choose to go elsewhere. This is particularly useful for rutting stags as they choose not to scrape on undesirable trees. We have other trees on our island that look somewhat like apple-pears and are not good forage. This may be the reason for the aversion. I have never had to use plantskydd on the fruits I mentioned.