nafex - RE: [NAFEX] HELP- late arrival of bare root hazelnut plants-zone 5!

  • From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucedhansen@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] HELP- late arrival of bare root hazelnut plants-zone 5!
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:37:38 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Dianne Stephany
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 3:18 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers

Bruce wrote:  Wrap the pot in plastic and place them in the garage.

I have the roots soaking in cold water and the pot ready.
By "wrap the pot in plastic"-  put the pot part in a garbage bag and wrap it loosely around the the pot, leaving the dirt and plants exposed?  or putting the whole thing in a garbage bag and tying the opening closed?

WRAP THE PLASTIC AROUND THE BASE OF THE PLANTS, LEAVING THE PLANTS EXPOSED.

Do I need to watch if the garage gets below a certain temperature and move the plants temporarily inside?
And I probably won't have to water again till I start moving them outside, right? (that's what the plastic is for, to prevent water loss?)
Thanks!

NO AND YES, YES.

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. OF COURSE, IF IT GETS TO FIFTY BELOW ALL BETS ARE OFF.

BRUCE

---