nafex - [NAFEX] HELP- late arrival of bare root hazelnut plants-zone 5!

  • From: "Dianne Stephany" <iluvdanc@rochester.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] HELP- late arrival of bare root hazelnut plants-zone 5!
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:46:18 -0500

Hi- I just recieved three bare root hazelnut plants.
I cannot plant them now- the ground is frozen (zone 5).
The Arbor Day foundation said they would replace the plants for spring shipping. But were no help on what to do with them now.  I am assuming they are alive but asleep and that there is a chance to pull maybe one or two thru this disaster.

I am thinking of planting them in a pot and leaving them in the garage over winter.  It does freeze sometimes in the garage during the winter so I thought the pot would  be better than leaving them bare root. I can't put them in the basement (I think) because we have our boiler down there and it is the warmest place in the house in the winter.

HELP please.  I hate the idea of any plant dying because of a person's stupidity (shipping in December!!! for planting in zone 5).

They are in the garage now- about 40 degrees- waiting till I get some feedback.
Thanks in advance
Dianne.

---