nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Legend, Myth Or Both?

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Legend, Myth Or Both?
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:51:31 -0500

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:33:24 -0500, you wrote:

>It's likely true. I've read in a few sources that (hard) cider was a
>staple in colonial times, up through Johnny Appleseed's day. "The
>botany of Desire" has a nice chapter on apples, including their use in
>hard cider in the US and Johnny's role. Hard cider in the US died
>during prohibition, and urbanization prevented it from coming back - it
>was a product usually produced by each household, not a commercial
>product.

It's back as a commercial product now, although on a minor
scale compared to, say, beer.

Personally, I do like hard cider and don't like beer - at
least not any beer I've tasted yet, and I've tasted some
reputably really excellent beers (my husband is British).

Pat

--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful