nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon flowers

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon flowers
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:19:13 -0800

If you graft a limb from a normally male tree, it will stay male. It's only the odd male limbs on female trees that revert when propagated.

On Nov 12, 2004, at 6:54 AM, Katherine Russell wrote:

If you have a female tree, and you graft some male to it, does the male part "remember" its identity? Or does it pick up some cue from the tree it is in and become female, or sterile, or perhaps not take at all?

This is of interest to me not only b/c there is a nice persimmon around here I hope to raft or layer a piece of... but because I'm interested in several other dioeceous plants and wondered if there's a way around having multiple trees of each.

Best - KR

Lon Rombough wrote:

Persimmon cuttings (dormant ones, at least) are very hard to root. They graft very easily, though.

Some persimmons, especially ones related to "Early Golden" will often produce limbs of male flowers. This is NOT a stable trait - graft a new tree from the male limb and it will go back to being female. When the tree matures, it can again produce a stray limb of male flowers now and then. There are also male trees that will produce small, seedless fruit, and a very few "males" that will produce some female and some PERFECT flowers. "Szukis" is one of these. Jim Claypool's "F-100" is another. There are efforts going on to breed perfect flowered persimmons, using these odd types as a basis.
-Lon Rombough