nafex - Re: [NAFEX] trying to buy pixie crunch and sundance apples + asianpears

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] trying to buy pixie crunch and sundance apples + asianpears
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:15:25 -0600

I purchased my Pixie Crunch on the Henry Field's website last year. The tree arrived in terrific shape, and it's the best one I've ever purchased via mail or the web. The tree was heavily branched, pruned and the branches were already growing at 150-180 degrees. It appears to be a precious variety, and I'm expecting at least a heavy blossom set next spring and maybe an apple or two. One thing that is unusual--Pixie Crunch still has its leaves. All my other apples and other fruit trees have dropped their leaves, as we've had many freezes and snow flurries already.

Stark Brothers has Asian pears, single varieties and two-on-one grafts. I purchased the latter which has Shinseiki and Korean Giant. That tree also arrived in good shape and has grown well. The crotch angles on the grafts were steep, but I've used plastic spreaders to widen them.
Doreen Howard
WI-IL Border, first snowfall predicted for tonight and tomorrow.