nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recommendation

  • From: David Consolvo <fruitopia@nexet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recommendation
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:04:06 -0500

I too am looking for Asian pear recommendations. My Asian pears are so much
more delicious than my European pears!

Shinseiki - So wonderful tasting I could eat them all day. Beautiful too.
Tree gets some fireblight but survives.

Kosui - Rather small, Ok tasting

Korean Giant - Great as a late-ripening variety, though they often soften
and have a slowly developping internal rot. Maybe I harvest them too late.

I'd love to hear what others think of their Asian pears. How about
fireblight resistance? The Kent Whealy/Seed Savers Exchange book often
mentions fireblight susceptibility of European pear varieties, but rarely of
the Asian pears.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia
Zone 7