nafex - [NAFEX] Asian pear recommendation

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Asian pear recommendation
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:07:45 -0600

At 09:32 PM 11/9/2004 -0600, you wrote:
P.S.: I'm also looking for Japanese pear suggestions. I have Shinko and Shinseiki and have been very pleased with the fruit. As have been all the people to whom I gave samples. :-) I also have a Korean Giant/Don Bae/Olympic which has yet to fruit. The question is, if I were to put in a couple more asian pears, should I choose another Shinko and Shinseiki, or are there others I should consider?

My current favorite(and has been ever since my Asians started fruiting 5 years or so ago) is Chojuro. In my book, it's a 'gotta have'.
I continually see rave reviews for Hosui, but mine's only a 2-yr graft, so the jury's out on it, for me.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY