nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recommendation

  • From: Katherine Russell <Katherine.Russell@oberlin.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recommendation
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:06:47 -0500

Ditto on the Asian pear recommendations. It seems every new one I try has a different taste.
I have a small tree of "Hosui" which fruited for the first time this year, small fruits, ripe quite a lot earlier than the other asian pears I have seen around town. Low acid, very watery / watermelony, very sweet (compared to other Asian pears I've tried), with a nice perfume flavor.

The other types I've eaten that are grown locally are larger, crunchier, and tarter, more like a firm apple but with a less concentrated flavor.

I've also tried imported Korean fruit, which was very crispy and very very watery, with barely any sweetness.

Is there anyone who grows a huge variety of Asian pears and sells a sampler? A bunch of orchards seem to do this for heirloom apples, and it would be a great way to experience the full flavour range and make a decision. (Granted, that different varieties will be ripe at different times, but that just means ordering samplers several times :-)

Best - KR

David Consolvo wrote:

I too am looking for Asian pear recommendations. My Asian pears are so much
more delicious than my European pears!

Shinseiki - So wonderful tasting I could eat them all day. Beautiful too.
Tree gets some fireblight but survives.

Kosui - Rather small, Ok tasting

Korean Giant - Great as a late-ripening variety, though they often soften
and have a slowly developping internal rot. Maybe I harvest them too late.

I'd love to hear what others think of their Asian pears. How about
fireblight resistance? The Kent Whealy/Seed Savers Exchange book often
mentions fireblight susceptibility of European pear varieties, but rarely of
the Asian pears.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia
Zone 7