nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: fundraising

  • From: Claude Sweet <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: fundraising
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:17:12 -0700

Bruce,

Most of my adult horticulture experience has been with subtropicals in Southern California. Although several of the temperate species that I have experience - kiwifruit, fig, persimmon, and feijoa - do very well in colder areas of California. I have been retired from teaching and commercial growing since the early 1990's. I doubt that I can add much concerning cultural methods that would be helpful to NAFEX members in cold climates.

I do have experience in attempt to get teachers to adopt new technology as I was the administrator in charge of helping non computer teachers make the transition to graphic user interface operating systems (Mac and Windows) prior to retiring.

The resistance of DOS computer users was immense and not unlike the problems I encountered as the first president of the California Rare Fruit Growers (CRFG) when our group of backyard growers formalized our 501 C3 federal tax exemption, affiliated with the Arboretum at California State University at Fullerton, CA.

Some people have a comfort zone that they will strongly resist changing. CRFG and NAFEX are no exception. It is hard for some people to accept that others may have many interests besides the primary purpose of the group. However, it is the membership fees of those who do not wish to be actively involved that provide the funding resources to paid for publications. It is very difficult to recruit and fire volunteers.

In most horticultural groups, the exchange of seeds, budwood, plants, and expertise are the glue that binds the organization together. Expertise is generally passed on through publications and meetings.

As president of the CRFG, I established local chapters that met monthly and provided the personal networking and socializing that seemed to be a real need that could not be meet through newsletters and the biannual tour and plant sale that was part of our statewide annual meeting.

I believe that the internet provides an opportunity for people to interact, even when separated by great distances. This plant forum is an excellent example of the networking and dialoging I have been urging the CRFG to embrace. The CRFG has a high quality color publication that is one of the best I have seen.

Posting a question and sending a response on this forum is a very active form of participation. It may not be the same as writing an article for POMONA, but it is just as much a form of participation as being a member of an audience attending a lecture on plants.

People want to learn about fruit growing and there are people willing to share their experiences. There isn't a single method of communication that will work best for everyone because their are differences in how people acquire knowledge. Some skills like grafting and pruning can considered an art form and some individuals never will be able to demonstrate the skills even when they can pass a written test on the subject.

Passing on the sum of the experience of the CRFG or NAFEX is extremely important. The torch of our enthusiasm for growing plants must be passed down to our children and to young adults in high school and college. Planting the seed of our experiences may take decades to grow and reach maturity, but it is the only way for an organization to endure.
Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA

Bruce Hansen wrote:

Claude:

You have written quite a bit. Obviously, your issue is close to your heart.
Now, if all 200 folk on the list-serv are 'active' participants, then why do
we not have more articles for POMONA? You can e-mail your article to Jackie.

Having been a software designer, I know too many people who are still
uncomfortable behind the keyboard. Many of these folk are the most
interesting.

Bruce
PS I still thing the CD is a good initial step