nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: fundraising

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: fundraising
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:24:35 -0500

Tom Volkening wrote:
Regardless of whether the dues go up or Pomona is published in multiple formats, I think digitally archiving the back issues of Pomona is a good idea. I like reading the current issues of Pomona in print but is likely that the only way I will see all of the issues published before I joined NAFEX is if someone creates an electronic archive that I can purchase on a cdrom or get access to online. I know that Mother Earth News now sells collections of their back issues on cdrom.
I'm on my way out the door to catch a plane and will be gone until next Monday, but I'll throw this out. Mother Earth News asked me to approach the NAFEX board about archiving all the Pomona issues and indexing them into a searchable data base. It would be on the Mother Earth News website, but it would be linked to the NAFEX site. Of course, MEN will benefit, but they will also do the heavy lifting. I imagine that CDs of the NAFEX material would be for sale down the line with part of the profits going to NAFEX. I threw this out to the board, and there was little discussion. This may be the time to do the talking.

While I'm gone (son is getting married in Nevada), thrash this out amongst yourselves, decide if this is a good thing for NAFEX and put together a rough draft of a counter-proposal--what NAFEX expects, gives, etc. I'll take it to the MEN publishers and we can negotiate from there. Please send the draft directly to my email address, below, so it doesn't get lost in the spam and listserv chatter.

MEN is also approaching California Rare Fruit Growers with the same proposal. It would be great to have so much fruit information in one place.
Doreen Howard
gardendiva@charter.net