nafex - Re: [NAFEX] INDIA

  • From: Claude Sweet <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] INDIA
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:13:37 -0700

Bruce,

Without knowing the number members and the exact cost of printing and distributing the 4 publications, it is difficult to state that an increase to $18 would solve both the immediate and future deficient.

Fund raising ideas are fine for specific projects, but should not be the solution for closing the funding problems for the publications.

Increasing membership is the best short and long term solution; however, it does mean using the WWW as a doorway to acquire new members. Those of us that use the computer and the web daily prefer to have information provided in a searchable format.

I am discarding publications because of a lack of space and the associated fire hazard of storing publications older than six months. Choosing to convert POMONA to an electronic publication would substantially reduce costs while allowing color illustrations to be incorporated into NAFEX publications.

In my opinion, demanding people write articles will not generate more articles. Efforts to involve researchers write articles should be explored. The problem is that many of the people who have acquired the expertise are too busy, too tired, or not comfortable putting their thoughts down on paper.

A possible solution is to consider having a staff of people who act as reporters, digital photographers, illustrators, editors, fact checkers, etc. interview people. This is a standard practice, as most garden writers are not horticultural experts. My suggestions is to look at the skills used to produce a horticultural publication for commercial distribution. NAFEX may be a not for profit organization, but it is a business and as such it can not continue to operate for long with $5000 a year losses.

Claude Sweet

Bruce Hansen wrote:

Claude:

We have four issues of POMONA a year. Perhaps we should raise the dues to
$18.00 annually and demand that more folk write articles or at least make it
fun. I think there are many folk who can tell a tale. Also what about
raffles etc. I would through 20 bench grafts at the highest bidder.

What say you?

Bruce