nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Saskatchewan Cherry Question

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Saskatchewan Cherry Question
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:34:39 -0600

Does any NAFEXer know what 'hoops' I'd have
to jump through to get them stateside?

Officially, they have to go through Quarantine before being allowed legally into the U.S. That, is I believe a 2yr process and can be quite costly. I know that the SK Carmine Jewel cherry, which was released a few years ago is in quarantine and may even be available next spring. 4 of the newest 5 that are being quasi-released to growers here in Canada for testing have not been put into quarantine. These haven't been thoroughly tested here, nor even named yet but I believe would be rock hardy in places like the mid-west U.S. They did come through -49F last winter with some damage but you also have to take into account that they are in their original location where the plant spacing is 3' - 4' apart, which makes them struggle a bit more.

In the end, it relies on money being spent to get plants through quarantine.

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound e-mail and attachments. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNĀ® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.