nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Damaged trees

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Damaged trees
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:08:16 -0400

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:38:12 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is it grass or clover, or another broadleaf?

OK, let me correct my earlier statement. The deer here eat
something that grows low to the ground and survives being
mowed. They probably also eat other things too, but we see
them grazing on grass or grass-like plants every day in
summer.

Grass grows very well here (northcentral Pennsylvania) and I
suspect that it's some type of grass, but I don't really
know that for sure.

My mammal guidebook (National Audubon Society Field Guide
for North American Mammals) says 'The white-tailed deer
grazes on green plants, including aquatic ones in the
summer, eats acorns, beechnuts, and other nuts and corn in
the fall, and in winter browses on woody vegetation....'

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful