nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Damaged trees

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Damaged trees
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:43:35 -0700

Deer don't eat grass. They browse on plants, but their preferred food is shoots of bushes and trees, like your fruit trees. Add in fruit, and unless you have a tall enough fence, they WILL jump it for the goodies inside. It takes a TEN foot fence to really stop them.
-Lon Rombough

So, I'm building a 7' tall fence around the orchard. A deer can actually jump over that, but I'm betting that it won't be worth their effort, considering all the grass and such in the area. Maybe visitors to my property will also get the idea. Once the fence is done, I'll start replanting.