nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Damaged trees

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: NAFEX@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Damaged trees
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:4:55 -0500

Somebody backed a truck up into a 5" dia walnut tree of mine and knocked
off a hunk of bark about 1/3 its diameter and 3' tall. Luckily I was right
there at the time and immediately set the bark back in place and taped it
up with box tape wrapping rounds wherever it looked like it needed it -
about 5 rounds - then sealed the edges by painting on melted paraffin. This
was in the spring and the sap was running fast with rapid growth so that
might have helped it. I took the wraps off at the end of the season. Now
its 3 later and the patch is healed back in completely though the scar will
tell the tale for what looks like years to come, but not if I'm around to
tell it first. There was an offer of amnesty for the perp if he fessed up
but I never did.

Dave

on a share basis, and forever there has been no problem. Until today. He
ran into one of the apple trees and tore off a branch of about 5" diameter,
ripping it OUT of the mother branch at the junction. The wood is
splintered three inches or more into the main branch--I pulled chunks out
and can stick my finger in there. I pruned it off as best I could, but it
is so splintered and the bark around it is so loose I don't know how to
help it heal. He skipped a tree, and then skinned a pear tree, knocking
off a chunk of bark about 1/3 of it's diameter, and abourt 5" tall. Young
tree. What's the best way to "fix" it? Have put up a temporary fence to
warn him off the trees when he returns to ted and bale.

used to change other email options):