nafex - Re: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts / temperature

  • From: Katherine Russell <Katherine.Russell@oberlin.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts / temperature
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:32:14 -0400

I take it from the ongoing discussion of grafting, that my concern about it
being "too late" for budding my cherry tree is overly alarmist?

I'm going to go ahead and try something this weekend. I have some rootstock
lined up.
Any suggestions for techniques likely to work on a thin barked sour cherry,
at a time of year when the bark isn't slipping (it's not), will be
appreciated.

I'd read that the recommended way of propagating sour cherry would have been
by budding, sometime in June. This is what I tried earlier this summer, not
in June but in July; since I'd read that the scionwood should be dormant, I
picked buds which were not actively growing and did not have a leaf coming
out next to them. Again, please, if anyone can recommend a better way of
doing it or correct misinformation, that would be appreciated. Best.

KR
krussell@oberlin.edu