nafex - Re: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts / temperature

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts / temperature
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:17:20 +0000

My stone fruit grafting has been either w/t or chip bud, alwasys quite mixed results, I keep wondering if the main problem isnt temperature. I remember seeing a list of temperatures needed for callusing - and stone fruits were at the highest needed temp, aples at the lowest, anyone have such a list?
Light frost possible this weekend and high in 50's. , I'm grafting stone fruits anyway though.
I have used a combo chip / whip + tongue I am liking more and more. I prepare a piece of scionwood like I would for w/t, including tongue, but instead of making a matching end cut on the rootstock, I skive it onto the side of a branch or main stem. My thoery is that it is a thicker piece of scion and has more staying power that way......such as now when it has to wait till ? to see 80F.
Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

&gt;From: Stefan Brandle &lt;sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;Subject: Re: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts
&gt;Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:26:57 -0500
&gt;