nafex - Re: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, hartmansfruittrees@wport.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:08:47 -0400

On Aug 17, 2004, at 10:55 PM, Bob Hartman wrote:
. . .
* I let the buds dry out in transit. Don't think that's a problem. They
went straight from cutting to my mouth, and were taken out only when
ready to be inserted.

Why put them in your mouth? I never cut the bud until I am ready to insert it. From the time I cut it off the bud stick until it is in place is
about 3 to 5 seconds.

I had the same question. You mouth is full of bacteria, viruses, mammalian growth factors, enzymes that break down plant material, and who knows what else. I would try not to touch the cut surface with either my fingers or my mouth if possible. But I've never done bud grafting, so maybe that's not an issue.

Ginda