nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Drying black currants

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Drying black currants
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:41:18 +0000

Thanks, The batch in question was a gallon of consort, this is why I did not freeze them for 'fresh ' eating later this winter. I'll let you know about the drying success.
I took half of this batch and cooked them for 20 minutes with sugar to make a sauce, and they turned out so bitter to be hardly edible, almost a metalic bitter taste. but the exact same treatment with titania was just wonderful. The consorts weren't great fresh, but not terrible like the sauce turned out, Any clues?? All I can think of is that some of the berries had the little 1/4" stem still on, could this do it? I dont recall if the titanias had this.
Sorry to hear of the hail storm!
Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

&gt;From: Ribes60@aol.com
&gt;Reply-To: North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;To: Nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;Subject: [NAFEX] Drying black currants
&gt;Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:34:04 EDT
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;del stubbs &lt;pinewoodel@hotmail.com&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;Mostly what I found regarding drying currants in a Google search was
&gt;inumerable references to Corinthian Grapes........
&gt;
&gt;Questions :
&gt;Would leaving the currants on the raceme help or hinder drying?
&gt;Don’t know but would probably take longer
&gt;Is a dehydrator necessary? Probably would work better
&gt;
&gt;How palatable are black currants be dehydrated?
&gt;I think they would be very good, especially the sweeter ones
&gt;Some small fruits are soaked in some sweetening agent before drying (as
&gt;dried cranberries obviously are) : important with currants?
&gt;I had planned to dry some this year and would have done some both ways. I
&gt;would dip the whole berries in scalding water for 30 seconds to “checkâ€? the
&gt;skins, and then soak them in White Karo for several hours, then drain and
&gt;dehydrate. That is almost what is done with cranberries.
&gt;I lost all my berries this year to a hail storm, worst I have ever seen. I
&gt;will try this process next year.
&gt;
&gt;I thought they might be great over cereal this winter, and wondered if
&gt;somebody has already tried this.
&gt;I think they would be good with many uses and even as a “snackâ€?
&gt;Ed Mashburn
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;nafex mailing list
&gt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions.
&gt;----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options):
&gt;
&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;
&gt;Message archives are here: