nafex - RE: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:19:26 -0700

I have enjoyed this discussion, and it covers a lot of territory
including different fruit types and the different times of year the
grafting can be done. It would be helpful to apply this to a situation
I find myself in right now. Maybe someone can offer some advice...

One variety of apple I have is called Fukutami. I tasted it fresh once
at an apple tasting event. It had a strange taste, almost like apple
cider vinegar. I liked it. I successfully grafted this many years ago
onto a tree that has many other varieties on it. This is the tree I
learned to do whip-and-tongue on. Fukutami appears to be a slow grower,
and the mother tree gives most of its resources to the other branches.
Fukutami is still alive, but barely growing each year. To get out of
this growing rut, this past Spring I attempted to graft a single piece
of Fukutami onto a new rootstock, but unfortunately, the graft failed to
take. What are the chances of taking a bud today from the Fukutami
branch, grafting it on to a new rootstock, and having it take? If this
is possible, would there be any growth in the bud during the rest of the
growing season, or would I have to wait until Spring to see the bud come
to life?

Thanks,
Mark Lee