nafex - RE: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] successful bud grafts
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:20:24 -0700

Derry,
We live in similar climates. I am close to Puget Sound near Seattle. I
hope you can give me some bud grafting advice, since it sounds like you
have good luck with your own work. I have tried a few of these bud
grafts the past two summers with no success.

1. I use a rootstock or tree that is actively growing.
2. I have used buds from dormant scionwood. I have also tried buds cut
from actively growing wood.
3. I cut a T in the rootstock or host tree. The budwood is whittled
down to a little sliver with the bud attached. If from an actively
growing branch, I cut off the leaf, leaving a little stem attached.
4. I seal it, either with a Parafilm wrap, or with Doc Farwell's
grafting paint.
5. I expect new growth from the bud (Is this wrong?). The only that
has happened so far is that the budwood shrinks up, and the T cut heals
over.

What is your method?
-Mark Lee, Seattle