nafex - [NAFEX] Bud Grafting

  • From: "AL PERNICHELE" <pernichele@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bud Grafting
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:07:54 -0600

Greetings all,
I wait about 4 weeks before removing tape from chip budding with good results, but have removed tape the spring after grafting on a few with no problem. I believe most books recommend 2 weeks which is probably adequate in most situations. I just don't get around to it for a month. A nursery down the street removes tape 10 to 20 days after budding with good results.

Now a question. My budding failures , grafting macs and spartans on 26 and bud 9, usually occur consecutively with maybe 5 to 10 mostly failures in a row.   This leads me to believe I sometimes select poor budwood.  I collect budwood  from my orchard and use it immediately. Anyone have recommendations on selecting budwood??  I understand you should only use shoots which have set terminal buds.  Is this correct?
Al
Corvallis,MT

  • [NAFEX] Bud Grafting, AL PERNICHELE, 08/16/2004