nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum cracking

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum cracking
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:22:00 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

You might try giving the trees several applications of foliar calcium
starting about a week after petal fall and then every couple of weeks
thereafter till the fruit begins to color. I've used calcium acetate and
calcium gluconate on other fruit (haven't had a cracking problem on the plums
yet), but calcium chloride as for preventing blossom end rot of tomatoes
should work fine (if calcium is going to help at all). It is also
interesting that the small-fruited plums of Bruce haven't had any cracking
problems, but the original post mentioning the cracking was about
large-fruited cultivars. Calcium distribution is particularly difficult in
large fruits (the soil can be rich in calcium, but various other factors,
including uneven watering can prevent sufficient uptake and movement of
calcium to the heavy sinks, like developing fruits.

Anyway, it may be something else causing the cracking, but if you try the
calcium, I'd be interested to find out if it helps you.

Regards,

Anton
Zone 8