nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum Choices

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Choices
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:02:44 -0500

> Green Gage
> Alderman
> Percy
> Techumseh
> Toka
> Underwood
> Kahinta

John Bunker says there's lots of different plums that get called Kahinta. My
Kahinta unsprayed sets very heavy crop about every other year. The plums are
high quality. The tree is vigorous. I get good crops with no spraying here
but about every 4th fruit has a kind of rot that makes the taste off. It's
my best high-quality large plum .

> La Cross
> Prairie Egg
> Grenville
> Pembina
> S. Dakota

S. Dakota's reputation as a superior pollinator is unfounded. It is the
sweetest by far of plums I have tasted. Every 3rd year sets a decent crop,
but almost none reaches maturity in Massachusetts. Squirrels? Don't know
why, but I'm cutting it down spring.

> Pittsen #2

Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Mass