nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Wines

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Wines
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:12:06 -0600

I beleive a little sulfite helped.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:22:31 -0400
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

<DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>
<P>Phil</P>
<P>In adding sugar to a wine that is finished before it gets to 11% you take
the chance of either just a little will make bubbly, and more will blow the
bottles, corks hopefully. If it has not reached 11% which is the point at
which the yeast dies. It will start to work. If you do not have a vinometer
to check for alcohol, that is the problem. </P>
<P>Gordon C. Nofs </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Flint, MI.
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<P>
<P></P>From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com> <BR>Reply-To: North American
Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> <BR>To: "North American Fruit
Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> <BR>Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Wines
<BR>Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:40:31 -0600 <BR><BR>My dad used to make
excellent blackberry wine with the rampantly wild domestic himalayan vines of
the Seattle area that cover ever spot of untilled ground. His recipe called
for water. <BR>What you get with water is a style of wine closer to the
lighter bodied grape fine wines. <BR>Before bottling, we would taste the wine
and add sugar to taste. It amazed me <BR>that too dry of a blackberry wine
didn't even taste like blackberries until sugar was added <BR>to taste. To
taste with the sugar really wasn't a very sweet wine either. Home winemakers
have the <BR>advantage in adding sugar. Commercial winemakers can't by law.
<BR><BR>I have tasted the undiluted homemade grape wine in Bosnia/H
erzegovina. I noticed the farmer <BR>adding water to his finished wine and
sure enough it tasted better to me also after adding <BR>water. <BR>phil
<BR><BR>----- Original Message ----- <BR>From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
<BR>Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:32:44 -0500 <BR>To: North American Fruit
Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> <BR>Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Wines
<BR><BR>> Rob: <BR>> <BR>> Have you made fruit wines? My real question is
about using pure juice <BR>> to make the wine or adding water to it. The
majority of recipes that <BR>> I'm finding online call for equal amounts of
juice to water. I'm <BR>> assuming adding water will increase the amount of
sugar needed to be <BR>> added to get to a specific gravity of 1.090. (I
usually am happy with <BR>> 1.085...) Adding water also seems to me that
it'll create a lighter <BR>> body wine. <BR>> <BR>> <BR>> On Thursday, July
15, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Rob Halgren wrote: <BR>> <
BR>> > <BR>> <BR>> > <BR>> > I would, however, go out of my way to get a
good quality wine yeast. <BR>> > Any homebrew store and a number of internet
vendors would carry <BR>> > several different varieties. Yeast strains are
quite different. <BR>> > Using bread or beer yeast is a good way to get a
product that tastes <BR>> > 'bready' or 'beery'. In addition to producing
wine that tastes more <BR>> > like wine, wine yeasts also usually ferment to
a higher alcohol <BR>> > content, which is what you want. A couple bucks
extra for good yeast <BR>> > is well worth it. <BR>> > <BR>> <BR>> <BR>> I've
read in numerous places that yeast is the single most important <BR>> factor
in the kind of wine that is created. I've been using Wyeast <BR>> liquid
yeasts & found that they give outstanding characteristic to the <BR>> wine
made. http://www.wyeastlab.com/ Since Im not a big fan of <BR>> count
ry wines & sweet wines, Im looking for something that is on the <BR>> dry
side. Last years elderberry that I made was remarkably similar to <BR>> a
merlot. <BR>> <BR>> mIEKAL <BR>> <BR>>