nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 06:47:18 -0700 (PDT)

When I was a kid, my father and I would hunt then
often. I remember they were pretty good tasting too.

Dont get mad, just get hungry.

Robert

--- Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net> wrote:

---------------------------------
I still don't understand the inadequacy of natural
predators. Whyare fishers so uncommon? Why don't
hawks and other raptors takingenough squirrels so we
see less squirrels? Makes me appreciate
naturalpredators more. My father told me that when he
was a kid around 1922,that squirrels weren't seen in
town parks but mostly when out in the woods. What
could have been different in 1922?
Indeed shooting is illegal in my town, but I used to
catch many squirrelsas well as about everything else
in a Havahart&reg; trap I set when I hada small fenced
garden. When I really got mad about squirrels
ruiningmy crops I'd drape a shower curtain over the
cage then run a PVC pipe fromthe car exhaust to the
cage and that was very effective. Not my ideaof fun,
shows how mad I was about the damage.
I've got two hounds and I'm going to let them have a
try at squirrels.
C. Paradise
Massachusetts zone 5ish
Jwlehman@aol.com wrote:In a message dated7/3/2004
7:54:26 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
redherring@tnaccess.com writes:alot of
squirrels. Will a BB gun withpellets work on
squirrels? A 22 seems like
overkill, and I remember shotgun shellsare
expensive.I've often said one can have squirrelsor
nuts but not both. I feel sorry for those of you that
live in populatedareas where shooting isn't a good
idea or against the law. To answer yourquestion, no
normally a BB gun will not kill squirrels outright.
Howevera pellet gun with about 7 pumps will. As a BB
spirels in flight, purchasepellets to use with the
pump air rifle.
A rifle isn't necessarly overkill.If one uses (my main
defense ammuntion) 22 BC shorts or 22 target
shortsthat uses a slower burning powder has a much
quieter report and still hasenough umpf to outright
kill squirrels, rabbits, crows, etc. Thereport is
such that my neighbors seldom hear the report. I use a
singleshot el`cheapo rifle. I keep my population under
control and I livwe ina wooded area, maybe total of 10
acres of woods around the house and buildings.>