nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:22:36 -0500

Thanks to Ginda for plausible reasons why wild animals are becoming more
prevalent.

Indeed my father commented again and again about the loss of New England's
majestic elms. A squirrel would have a long climb out in the open to ascend
from an elm's base to its first branches - open and vulnerable to attack all
the way up. That plus the ever-present roaming dogs must have made a
squirrel's life in a New England town seem much less secure. Oh, plus
shooting was a pastime for a population without TV. So I can see how my
father didn't observe many squirrels in the town.

In my town there's more woods than there has been since the 1600's. Not only
was most all food grown locally, but also food and bedding for their horses
too. Imagine the pressure to grow if you had to grow enough corn to make
alcohol to fuel your car, as well as feed your family! No wonder farming
was a viable career in the 1600's, 1700's, 1800's North America.

Incidentally wooded areas in New England increase by ten percent a year - in
ten years wooded area double - deer increase about proportionally - experts
predict the return of the Cougar to eastern woods - as an inevitable fact.
Twice this year in Beverly, a small town north of Boston on the coast,
multiple people saw a Cougar. Isolated noticings are dismissed as a pet that
got released; however the Cougar has returned to Missouri where it had not
been for many years because of similar reasons, reforestation, increase of
deer. Incidentally, once Cougar return your days of jogging in the woods are
over...notice that in California Cougars almost inevitably attack
joggers...the running just gets their instincts going. Rule one dealing with
Cougars is, don't run.

Re: the increase of the predatory birds Ginda notices, perhaps the raptors
are still increasing and we have yet to see their maximum....is there a
possibility that then finally they will start taking squirrels? Is there
hope?
Charlie Paradise
still waiting in zone 5 for predators to take more squirrels