nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:44:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2004 7:54:26 AM US Eastern Standard Time, redherring@tnaccess.com writes:

a lot of
squirrels.  Will a BB gun with pellets work on squirrels? A 22 seems like
overkill, and I remember shotgun shells are expensive.

I've often said one can have squirrels or nuts but not both. I feel sorry for those of you that live in populated areas where shooting isn't a good idea or against the law. To answer your question, no normally a BB gun will not kill squirrels outright. However a pellet gun with about 7 pumps will. As a BB spirels in flight, purchase pellets to use with the pump air rifle.

A rifle isn't necessarly overkill. If one uses (my main defense ammuntion) 22 BC shorts or 22 target shorts that uses a slower burning powder has a much quieter report and still has enough umpf to outright kill squirrels, rabbits, crows, etc.  The report is such that my neighbors seldom hear the report. I use a single shot el`cheapo rifle. I keep my population under control and I livwe in a wooded area, maybe total of 10 acres of woods around the house and buildings.