nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:43:48 -0500

At 09:11 AM 7/5/2004 -0400, you wrote:

I don't know whether rabies is common in squirrels.
Very, very uncommon. In fact, the likelihood of any rodent, with the exception of groundhogs(which tend to have run-ins with skunks on occasion) is so slim that the CDC's recommendations are NOT to undergo rabies prophylaxis in cases in which a rodent(rat, squirrel, chipmunk, etc.) bites someone and then escapes and is unavailable for rabies testing.

I don't know what else squirrels can carry that people can catch.

Tularemia, plague, and a few other zoonotic diseases, but again, those are pretty uncommon, and thorough cooking would negate any risk, other than exposure via fresh cuts or open wounds on your hands while dressing or otherwise preparing the carcass.

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/ Dept. Chairman
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY