nafex - Re: Fw: [NAFEX] The bird pressure

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fw: [NAFEX] The bird pressure
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:20:20 -0400

Hello,

Han't anyone noticed that the rapid spread of West Nile Virus northward is directly proportional to bird mirgrations north and south?

For the most part I trust the CDC, and bird migration is their main theory.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol6no4/rappole.htm

If birds can move WNV to northern Ontario in one season, they can move it into your backyard.

Later,
Tom

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 16:16:56 EDT, <Jwlehman@aol.com> wrote:

In a message dated 7/3/2004 7:16:48 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
Jwlehman@aol.com writes:

>> The argument that keeping birds around serves as an attractant to
mosquitoes that carry the West Nile Virus is absurd. - Dylan

Oops Dylan, my public apology. Didn't read what you had written closely,
thought you had written detractant or control. Again my mistake.

Although I might suggest in our area where we have thousands and thousands of
crows upon which mosquitoes feed upon could help spread the virus. The IDNR
does find dead crows killed by the virus and that is one way our public heath
officials first learn the virus has returned for the summer. In the winter my
city cousins have a real problem with crows roosting in trees and on building
tops, believe it or not. They are much worse than pigeons. I would submit our
overpopulation of crows help supply a continuos fresh supply of contaminated
blood and aid mosquito reproduction and the spread of WNV.

Jerry

--