nafex - Re: [NAFEX] asian pear on pear rootstock

  • From: natelson@pipeline.com
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] asian pear on pear rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:07:32 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Dear Lisa,

OH x F 513 is extremely dwarfing here in zone 9 and would not have
enough vigor for an Asian pear. The best rootstock is P. betulaefolia and P.
calleryana is also satisfactory here. In slightly cooler areas of Texas, OH
x F 40 and 87, but not 97, have been satisfactory as rootstock for Asians.

Collete was at one time offered by Miller's Nursery, in New York, which
had descriptions of it in its catalogue. Its chill requirements were high
but it might work in zone 7.

Regards, Ethan