nafex - [NAFEX] asian pear on pear rootstock

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] asian pear on pear rootstock
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:22:56 -0400

I have successfully grafted asian pear on OHXF513, it is not overly dwarfing
here in zone 6b (midAtlantic) - actually rather vigorous. I have used 333,
513, and 282 and found them all to be similar from a growth perspective
(although, in general, I've lost track of which pears are on which rootstock).

Budding will probably work fine, but I'm not that good at it (yet) and have
always dormant grafted pears.

3 possible negatives:
1)Some of the dwarfing rootstocks for pear (333?) may reduce fruit size. I
don't consider this a huge minus for home growers (w/in reason).

2)From personal experience the only overdwarfing (runting out) I saw were on
two purchased Asian pears (Stark or Miller) and 1 multigraft E. Pear
(definitely Miller). One Asian pears start producing the may slow growth
dramatically. If you see them flower too early in their life, you may want
to strip the flower buds and fertilize to force more growth.

3)Related to 2, you may not see significant dwarfing w/ Asians on the OHxF
rootstocks.

As to Swiss Gourmet Apple, it's also known as "Arlet" so you may want to
search on that.

Good luck and have fun!!!

--
Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

<<I have a multi-grafted asian pear with 4 varieties,
plus bartlett - i.e, scionwood. I also have several
pear rootstocks (OHxF 513), and an itchy grafting
knife. I believe asian pears are compatible with
pear rootstock, correct? Can pears be successfully
(easily) bud grafted or is regular dormant grafting
better?

On a happy note, I think the two pear grafts I did
may be making it! I was worried as the scionwood had
developed a bit in the fridge. Two of the apples I
did... well, I'm an optimist. Among the pears is
Colette. This was described glowingly to me, but I
can't find any good info on the web. It's
"everbearing", and as I recall didn't need to be
ripened in cold storage. What's a good reference
that describes even such rarities as Colette pear and
Swiss Gourmet apple?

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Zone 7 Sunset Zone 7 1800'