nafex - [NAFEX] asian pear on pear rootstock

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] asian pear on pear rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

I have a multi-grafted asian pear with 4 varieties,
plus bartlett - i.e, scionwood. I also have several
pear rootstocks (OHxF 513), and an itchy grafting
knife. I believe asian pears are compatible with
pear rootstock, correct? Can pears be successfully
(easily) bud grafted or is regular dormant grafting
better?

On a happy note, I think the two pear grafts I did
may be making it! I was worried as the scionwood had
developed a bit in the fridge. Two of the apples I
did... well, I'm an optimist. Among the pears is
Colette. This was described glowingly to me, but I
can't find any good info on the web. It's
"everbearing", and as I recall didn't need to be
ripened in cold storage. What's a good reference
that describes even such rarities as Colette pear and
Swiss Gourmet apple?

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Zone 7 Sunset Zone 7 1800'