nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Colette pear (was asian pear on pear rootstock)

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Colette pear (was asian pear on pear rootstock)
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:15:55 -0500

I've long been intrigued by the possibility of growing a pear that could bear
after a bloomtime frost. However, I've never grown Colette. Here's some
info I was able to find on the Internet. -- Sam Brungardt

Henry Field's has sold 'Colette' pear for years (see
http://henryfields.com/item_disp.asp?pn=10498&cat_nbr=15&sub_cat_nbr=5).
However, I don't know whether they have anyone who can talk knowledgeably
about the cultivar. Here's what they say on their Web site: "An antique
variety whose quality is simply outstanding. Keeps blooming 'til the weather
forces it to quit! Fruit matches Bartlett for size, with a rich fragrance
that intensifies when canned. Bright yellow skin, smooth flesh. Ripens mid to
late Sept. Zones 4-8."

Bloom data for Colette at the Mount Vernon Experiment Station in Washington
State can be seen at
http://www.mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/bloom_dates_pear_03.htm.

The is from Brooks' and Olmo's "Register of Fruit and Nut Varieties":
Colette (PI 617532). - Originated in Freeport, Illinois, by Marie E. Dreyer.
Introduced in 1953. Plant patent 1401; 28 June 1955; assigned to Henry Field
Seed & Nursery Co., Shenandoah, Iowa. Parentage unknown; discovered in 1941.
Fruit: resembles Bartlett; flavor fine; matures over a long period of time;
suitable for canning. Tree: flowers bloom over a long period of time.

>From the NAFEX discussion list database, this is what one member had to say
>about Colette:
I've had a Colette pear in a failed orchard for maybe twenty years and got a
few fruits yearly that matured at the same time. The tree was surrounded by
brush and briars. Miller nursery in NY advertises it as maturing August till
fall and calls it overbearing. Last year I fenced the area, put a plastic
fence around the tree and turned the goats in. The goats cleared the brush
and briars and fertilized. This year its had a large crop for ten days and
now a small secondary is getting ripe. Good pear when peeled.
Keith
Zone 5b