nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardiest Kiwi

  • From: Martha Barrett / Scott Weber <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardiest Kiwi
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:15:56 -0600

Lon,
I'm glad to hear you mention growing A. kolomikta in the shade. I
planted that species 10 years ago or more because it is supposed to be
the hardiest, but almost every spring its flowers get nailed by late
frost so I get no fruit. I'd just about come to the conclusion that I
need to root cuttings for it and plant them in the woods, which might
protect them from late frosts AND might also keep it from starting growth
up as early in the spring. Late last summer I tasted the first fruits
that my vines have made and decided that I definately would like more (I
think I may have covered the vines with reemay when our Memorial weekend
frost hit). They are tasty.
Muffy Barrett
Baraboo (South Central WI)