nafex - [NAFEX] Delayed bloom and etc.

  • From: Jim F <bonfire58_2000@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Delayed bloom and etc.
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 05:36:21 -0800 (PST)

    Responding to Richard Moyer from East Tennessee, zone 6 is too warm a climate for Actinidia kolomitka; it needs colder winters.
    Re late Spring frosts during blossom time, I believe I mentioned before that to delay bloom by two to three weeks, spray with a dormant oil upon seeing the first green of bursting buds.
    Re Nanking flowers freezing, I never spray my Nankings or my A. kolomitka and I get a crop every year here in Northern Minnesota.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

We are predicted to hit 15-20 F tonight; daffodils are in full bloom as
are
Nanking Cherries and Cornus mas.  The C. mas typically fruits despite
this,
but the Nankings lose all fruit for the year.

If any of you have cultivars or tricks (microclimates, etc) that escape
spring freezes which normally eliminate that crop, would be glad to
hear of
them.   Spring freezes are our biggest fruit challenge.

As for kiwi, we planted kolomitkas and argutas about 10  years ago, the
kolomitkas in more shade here in Zone 6.  The buds or blooms freeze
routinely on the former, but the Argutas give a crop most years, and
'Anna'
is reliable for reblooming and cropping after freezes which wipe out
our
other argutas.  We've yet to produce a single kolomitka fruit, I think
due
to fluctuating spring temps.

As Doc noted for figs, once the argutas are established, can handle
cold
pretty well.

Anyone ever had a bumper crop of kolomitkas?  What's the yield
potential
under ideal circumstances?
Many years, our major problem with our single Anna vine is what to do
with
all the fruit.
Any voices of experience on kolomitka production?

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East Tenn

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [NAFEX] Delayed bloom and etc., Jim F, 03/23/2004