nafex - [NAFEX] Hardiest Kiwi

  • From: Jim F <bonfire58_2000@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardiest Kiwi
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:29:48 -0800 (PST)

    Alot of gardening mail-order catalogs list Actinidia arguta as the "hardy kiwi".  It can only handle -25° F before it winterkills.  There is another kiwi that is hardier, Actinidia kolomitka that can take -50° F.  It tastes identical to the brown fuzzys, is only 30%  smaller than A. arguta, produces less invasive vines than its cousins and it ripens in August.
    I bought my A. kolomitka from Oregon Exotics but I have seen it in (a few) other catalogs.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN
Zone 3

Do you Yahoo!?