nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: weepy actinidia arguta (hardy kiwi)

  • From: David Consolvo <fruitopia@nexet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: weepy actinidia arguta (hardy kiwi)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:18:40 -0500

Since you mentioned the sweet taste of hardy kiwi sap, I warn anybody from
trying to boil it down to make syrup. I love making maple syrup, and having
heard that one can make syrup from many types of trees, one day I had to cut
a large vine of hardy kiwi in the Spring. So much sap flowed out, I
collected a few gallons and tried boiling it down.

I never got the point of tasting the syrup. Simply the SMELL made me
nauseous. I poured it all out, opened the windows, and could not get that
smell out fast enough.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia