nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Tomatoe on horseweed.

  • From: "William A. Grimes" <wagrimes@sonic.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Tomatoe on horseweed.
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:23:37 -0800

At 06:39 AM 3/15/2004, Lucky wrote:
At 09:05 PM 3/14/2004 -0500, you wrote:
What is a horseweed, and why would anyone want to graft a tomato onto one??

Here's a link to a site with info on Horseweed: http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/erica.htm

I suspect that Jerry's friend probably grafted the tomato onto Horse Nettle, Solanum carolinense, a relative of the tomato: http://www.all-creatures.org/picb/wfshl-horsenettle.html

I grew up a few miles from where Jerry lives and can say with certainty that the plant in your link isn't what we called horseweed. However, the strain of Conyza Canadensis, the plant that you mentioned, that is found in Southern Indiana has developed a resistance to certain herbicides (http://www.btny.purdue.edu/weedscience/2003/Articles/horsetail7-23-03.pdf),  which might just be the thing for tomato rootstock. :-)

William A. Grimes
San Francisco, CA