nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Potted Culture - Winter storage?

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Potted Culture - Winter storage?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:40:55 -0500

One thing that fascinates me is how varied everyone's experiences are.

mIEKAL said, "At some point freezing is gonna kill all figs. I've never had
a potted fig survive below 20-23 degrees F. Even the Hardy Chicago."

Yet I never even begin thinking about wrapping my potted figs and moving them
into the garage until lows are into the teens. And although I've never put a
thermometer in there, I suspect it gets colder than that when temperatures
outside drop below 0.

On the other hand, after I stated my pet theory on how a lack of light
inhibits leaf out, mIEKAL pointed out how his break dormancy in a dark
basement. Nothing is as simple as we sometimes think.