nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Potted Culture - Winter storage?

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Potted Culture - Winter storage?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:30:31 -0800

At some point freezing is gonna kill all figs. I've never had a potted fig survive below 20-23 degrees F. Even the Hardy Chicago. mIEKAL

On Saturday, March 13, 2004, at 09:27 AM, Tom Olenio wrote:

Hi,

It is my understanding that it is not the freezing that kills potted culture, it is freezing and thawing, over and over in Autumn and Spring that kills the roots.  As long as it freezes and stays frozen you are OK.

I just checked my potted currants in the garage 2 days ago and they were dormant.  Today I see the buds have pushed and starting to show green.   Aaaarrrggh.  Another spring like last year.

Possibly should block the single window.

Later,
Tom