nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Potted Culture - Winter storage?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Potted Culture - Winter storage?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:27:59 -0500

Hi,

It is my understanding that it is not the freezing that kills potted culture, it is freezing and thawing, over and over in Autumn and Spring that kills the roots.  As long as it freezes and stays frozen you are OK.

I just checked my potted currants in the garage 2 days ago and they were dormant.  Today I see the buds have pushed and starting to show green.   Aaaarrrggh.  Another spring like last year.

Possibly should block the single window.

Later,
Tom

Gordon Nofs wrote:

My Figs are in an unattached Brick Veneer Garage. Tis is only my second year, but they worked very well in there. This year I had 2 that were about 6 foot and I had just thrown a large tarp over them. They still look green although we had a winter of a lot of below 0 degrees days. Last year I did not have to move them in and out.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.