nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Potted Culture - Winter storage?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Potted Culture - Winter storage?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:36:18 -0500

Kristina & Bruce wrote:

> Yet I never even begin thinking about wrapping my potted figs and moving
> them into the garage until lows are into the teens. And although I've
> never put a thermometer in there, I suspect it gets colder than that when
> temperatures outside drop below 0.

Hi,

That makes me wonder... I was always taught that the limited amount of soil
in a pot, which is above ground, repeatedly freezes and thaws with autumn,
winter and spring high and low temperatures. And this repeated process
damages the plant's root
system. If you wait until you get extended low temps in the teens, and it
does not harm your potted figs, taking all the freezes and thaws of autumn,
is there anything to worry about in potted currants and apples?

I put mine into cold storage once the plant is totally dormant and very hard
frosts are starting in the autumn.

Later,
Tom

--